Customer Avatar is one of the most popular topics in marketing. No marketing plan is complete without a well-defined customer avatar.
With the penetration of Digital Mediums in our daily life, it has now become easier for us to collect data from various online sources and come up with an ideal customer avatar.
In this article, I am going to cover everything that you need to know about a customer avatar.
Let’s get started:
Table of Contents
What exactly is a Customer Avatar?
Customer Avatar is an ideal picture of your customers. Creating a customer avatar not only helps you define your audience but also customize your marketing strategy according to them.
A customer avatar can help you understand your audience better & can provide you with the answers to questions like:
- Who are your customers?
- What do your customers do?
- What is the age range of your customers?
- How much on average do your customers earn?
And many more questions like this.
Also Read: Local SEO Checklist
Why Do You Need a Customer Avatar?
There can be many reasons why one needs to have a customer avatar in place. Some of the prominent reasons are:
- To better understanding your Audience
- To address the pain points of your customers
- For Better communication: To personalize your marketing communication to address the majority
- To participate in discussions with your potential customers
- To improve the results of your marketing campaigns
How to create a Customer Avatar?
There are many ways to create a customer avatar but the ones which are popular are:
Interacting with your audience is one of the best ways to create a customer avatar. You get insights directly by communicating face-to-face with your customers.
If you have an email list or contact details of your audience, you can go ahead and try the following methods given below to interact with your audience face to face:
- Request your audience to meet with you in person
- Host events for your audience
- Attend events where you are likely to find your potential audience
Calling your audience is also a very effective way to communicate with your audience and understand more about your audience.
For getting started with calls, first, you should have the lead generation mechanism in place. If you are getting inquiries from your audience with their contact details, then you can actually go ahead and call them to get a fair idea about who your customers are, what they do, what are their pain points, etc.
Surveys are used for a very long time to get a fair idea of your customers and come up with a matching customer avatar.
In this method, you put together a series of relevant questions with options for the audience to choose and after getting a fair number of responses, you look at the data to come up with a matching customer avatar.
You can create a survey on websites such as Typeform & distribute it through various channels such as emails, social media, website, etc.
My Customer Avatar (Sample)
In this section, we will check out the customer avatar for me (or my website). Basically, I want to help people who want to learn digital marketing, who are looking for a job in digital marketing. Therefore, I would like to position myself as a mentor for other digital marketers.
Below is a screenshot of my customer avatar survey that I have done on the 25th of Nov’19 on my audience:
Therefore, according to this survey, I can derive the following points about my audience:
- Majority audience lies in the age range of 25-34
- Majority of my audience is Male
- Most of the audience lives in Metropolitan cities like Bangalore, Delhi, etc.
- They earn an average between 3-5 lacs in a year
- Majority of my audience have completed Post Graduation
- Majority of my audience is working in a job for a living
I hope after reading this article you must have learned something new today.
Now I’d like to hear from you:
Did you create a Customer Avatar for your Business yet?
Did I miss something in my article?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below.